FEDS Protection federal veterinary liability insurance is recommended and exclusively endorsed by the National Association of Federal Veterinarians because anyone can make an allegation leading to an OIG, OPR, OSC, Internal Affairs, Congressional, Agency or State Veterinary Board investigation including:
- Plant Workers or Management;
- Special Interest Groups and Industries;
- Politically Motivated Elected Officials;
- Members of the Public; or
- Co-workers, Subordinates, or Agency Managers.
In a recent case, two federal veterinarians faced proposed removal from the federal service for improper billing and coding along with complaints from plant management. Although both veterinarians argued that the complaints were baseless and actions were consistent with past practice at their facilities, the agency moved forward with removing them both forcing them to appeal and litigate their removals before the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB). At this point, one of the veterinarians was forced to resign his federal employment and end his appeal because he could not afford to continue paying attorney’s fees. The other veterinarian, who had a FEDS PLI policy, was provided high-quality legal representation through the policy and the appeal was successful.
Administrative, Civil, & Criminal Coverage
Federal employee liability insurance provides coverage in three separate categories protecting against the administrative, civil and criminal exposures of federal employees. Basically, FEDS PLI is a defense policy - essentially, you are appointed your own lawyer to counsel and defend against work related allegations, claims and lawsuits.
- For administrative matters, your FEDS policy will pay for legal defense (up to $200,000) to defend the allegations prepare you for the agency administrative or investigation process, attend the investigative interview with you, and defend you in any resulting disciplinary action at both the agency level and at the MSPB.
- The FEDS policy would also defend you in a state veterinary board investigation and proceeding arising out of the performance of your federal job duties.
- If you are sued, as a FEDS policy holder, you would be provided with an attorney to defend you in the civil action. Also, if there were a civil monetary judgment issued against you, your FEDS policy would pay up to $1,000,000 (or $2,000,000 depending on the policy you choose) of the judgment in the event that the U.S. Government declines to indemnify you.
- If you are the subject of a criminal investigation, FEDS will pay for legal defense up to $100,000.
If you are also a manager or supervisor, policy benefits are often invoked due to employee allegations of:
- Wrongful Termination, and
- Whistleblower Reprisal.
FEDS Protection is Affordable:
$1,000,000 Limit; Annual Premium is $290 plus SL tax
$2,000,000 Limit; Annual Premium is $390 plus SL tax
Enrollment takes just a few minutes AND payroll deduction is available.