"The thought of disciplinary action against me never crossed my mind. I had always been very confident of my professional skills and was quite sure my agency would defend me...I quickly learned differently."
-Rick Hafenfeld, US Forest Service
Sometimes, bad things happen to good federal employees. Are you emotionally, financially and legally prepared to defend yourself if you are the subject of an adverse administrative action, disciplinary proceeding, or civil lawsuit? Even if the allegation is baseless, the ordeal can be truly frightening and defending yourself can quickly drain your bank account and take a personal toll on you and your family.
FEDS Protection can alleviate your worries by providing you with legal services and indemnity protection to defend against allegations arising from your federal position. All employees are eligible for FEDS Protection, but your policy must be effective prior to an incident resulting in an allegation, claim or suit for coverage to apply.
Task Force Officers, Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, Military Police Officers, and Federal Court Security Officers are all eligible for the very same protection at the very same price.
With FEDS Protection:
You are appointed your own personal attorney to defend against work related allegations, claims and lawsuits. The FEDS professional liability policy provides coverage for (1) Administrative & Disciplinary Matters, (2) Personal Capacity Lawsuits / Bivens Actions, and (3) Criminal Investigations that you could be subjected to while performing your job.
1) Administrative & Disciplinary Matters. FEDS Protection pays for legal defense for any administrative investigation or judicial sanction proceeding arising out of any act, error, or omission while rendering a professional service. This applies to any administrative investigation including but not limited to OIG, OPR, OSC, Office of Inspection, Congressional, and agency directed investigations AS WELL AS disciplinary actions.
2) Personal Capacity Lawsuits / Bivens Actions. You Can Be Sued. DOJ Can Deny Representation. You Can be Held Liable for a Judgment. FEDS Protection pays for legal defense and indemnity protection if you are sued for any act, error or omission arising out of the course and scope of employment.
3) Criminal Investigations. Some of the most common criminal investigations involving federal employees are due to conflict of interest statutes where intent is not a prerequisite to prove the crime, alleged misappropriation of federal funds, or inadvertent release of privacy act or other statutorily protected information. FEDS PLI pays for legal defense for any criminal investigation or proceeding into any act, error, or omission arising out of your rendering of a professional service.
Additional Policy Benefits include:
- Worldwide Coverage. Coverage is included for employees serving outside of CONUS or in other international posts of duties- at no additional cost.
- Employment Practice Liability. Coverage is included for managers & supervisors facing harassment, discrimination/EEO, retaliation and wrongful termination allegations. Unlike similar policies, the FEDS policy does not charge additional premium or require you to purchase additional endorsements for Employment Practices Liability claims in order to defend you in the event you are accused of these allegations.
- Loss Prevention Consultations. For pre-complaint or other matters falling outside the scope of the policy’s liability protections, including security clearance issues, all FEDS members are entitled to two half-hour consultations with an attorney – at no additional cost. Attempts by other companies to mirror this valuable service are simply not comparable.
Read our FAQs for more information on how FEDS Protection compares to other PLI carriers.
Complete policy information can be found in our FEDS Master Insurance Policy. Reimbursement information, directives for eligibility and forms can be found here.
Enrollment takes less than 5 minutes.
FEDS Protection is Affordable:
$1,000,000 Policy: $290*
$2,000,000 Policy: $390*
$3,000,000 Policy: $490*
* Plus applicable taxes and administrative fees
Payroll deduction is available, starting at $12 per pay period.
HR-218/LEOSA Coverage Available for Federal Law Enforcement Officers.
Managers, supervisors, and law enforcement officers are eligible for agency reimbursement of up to 50% of the PLI premium cost.
Questions? Need Help?