Why do federal employees choose FEDS over other federal employee professional liability insurance programs?
The core liability protections offered by federal employee professional liability carriers are basically the same - $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 dollars of indemnity protection for civil suits, $200,000 for administrative defense, and $100,000 for criminal defense; a "tail" or "36 month extended reporting period" to provide civil protection for up to three years after service; and worldwide protection important to those employees serving outside of CONUS or otherwise in international posts of duties.
We distinguish our program by:
- FEDS Benefits are secured by an A.M. Best A+XV (Superior) Rated Insurance Carrier.
- Legal Representation for Civil Matters is Not Capped. The full $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 liability limits for civil protection are separate and distinct and not subject to the defense limits of the administrative and criminal provisions.
- Coverage for Managers facing Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation & Wrongful Termination Allegations is included. Unlike similar policies, the FEDS policy does not charge additional premium or require you to purchase additional endorsements for Employment Practices Liability Protection in order to defend you in the event you are accused of these allegations.
- Full Criminal Coverage versus Limited Criminal Coverage. Unlike similar policies, the FEDS Master Policy does not have a “claw back” provision that allows us to recover claims expenses or monetary penalties for a criminal proceeding.
- Additional Consults. For matters falling outside the scope of the policy's liability protections, all FEDS members are entitled to two half hour consultations with an attorney - at no additional cost. Attempts by other companies to mirror this valuable service are simply not comparable and will cost you more money.
- Payroll Deduction. The option to choose payroll deduction is available. A $1 per pay period maintenance fee is added for this payment option. This option is not available for U.S. Postal Employees.
- Claims Handling. FEDS' Claims Administrator has a wealth of experience with federal employee civil, criminal and administrative liability issues. Coverage decisions are based upon the facts of the case and the terms and conditions of the master policy.
- Superior Legal Defense. FEDS has assembled a nationally recognized panel of attorneys who have a vast amount of experience in representing federal employees. This panel features the law firm of Shaw Bransford & Roth (SB&R), which has successfully defended federal employees for over 25 years. SB&R previously handled claims for other providers, but is now exclusively handling such claims for FEDS.
- No Deductibles, Admin or Other Fees. Similarly, there are no processing fees for credit card payments.
- Pro Rata Refund Available. FEDS gives pro rata refunds for members who retire or otherwise leave federal service. Other providers do not give comparable refunds and even have policy language that states that their policy is “non-refundable.” Minimum Earned Premium applies.
- Commitment and Know-How. FEDS President and Founder is a former employee and attorney of a federal agency who has continually demonstrated his understanding of and commitment to the federal community. His knowledge and commitment along with the 25+ years of experience our lawyers have in providing legal representation to federal employees are the very reasons that FEDS is endorsed by many leading federal employee associations.
Coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the FEDS Master Federal Employee Professional Liability Insurance Policy.
back to list